Admittance Info. (2008-2009 academic year.)
The Faculty of Mathematics and Mechanics together with its research units - the Mathematics and Mechanics Research Institute, the Computer Centre and the Astronomy Research Institute - is one of the biggest mathematical centres in the world.
The number of undergraduate students is 1587; there are also 299 Ph.D. students and young researchers.
On the teaching staff (364 in total), there are 111 professors and 172 assistant professors.
The teachers and other members of the faculty carry out of fundamental and applied research in all areas of modern mathematics, information technology and astronomy. They cooperate closely with the institutes of the Russian Academy of Sciences, russian and foreign universities.
The duration of an academic year is 10 months. The 1st (Fall) semester: September 1-January 31. The 2nd (Spring) semester: February 1-June 30.
Teaching at the Faculty is organized in the following speciality areas:
The duration of studies in all specialities is 5 years. On completion of the course, graduates defend a diploma paper and are awarded a Specialist's Diploma in the field "Mechanics, Applied Mathematics".
- applied mathematics
- computer and automated system software
Obtaining education in this field is also possible through a two-stage system: (1) a 4-year programme leading to a Bachelor's Degree and (2) two years of studies followed by defending a thesis for a Master's Degree.
Students can choose specialization in the following departments:
- Mathematical Analysis, Higher Algebra and Theory of Numbers
- Higher Geometry
- Differential Equations
- Mathematical Physics
- Probability Theory & Mathematical Statistics
Section "Applied Mathematics"
- Computational Mathematics
- Parallel Algorithms
- Statistical Simulation
- Operations Research
- Theoretical Cybernetics
Section "Informatics" (Information Technology)
- Computer Science
- System Programming
- Celestial Mechanics
- Theoretical and Applied Mechanics
- Hydro- and Aeromechanics
- Theory of Elasticity
- Physical Mechanics
In the Section of Mechanics, the following programmes leading to a Master's Degree are offered:
- Theoretical Mechanics
- Stability and Control of Motion
- Mechanics of Solid Body Deformation
- Mechanics of Liquid, Gas and Plazma
- Numerical Methods in Mechanics
- Software for Mechanics
- Computer Mechanics
- Asymptotic Methods of Non-linear Mechanics
- Aero- and Hydroelasticity
- Statistical Mechanics of Continuous Medium
Professor Gennady A. Leonov, Dean of the Faculty.
- tel.: (+7 812) 428-4210
- fax: (+7 812) 428-6944
- e-mail: email@example.com
Address: Faculty of Mathematics and Mechanics St.Petersburg State University. Universitetskiy pr., 28.
198504, Petrodvorets, Russia.
International Admissions Office (IAO) organizes process of admission of foreign students to Saint-Petersburg State University .
Head of International Admission Office — Ms Vera I. Alexandrova
- tel.: (+7 812) 328-1551
Address: Russia, 199034 Saint-Petersburg, Universitetskaya nab., 7-9.
- tel.: (7-812) 328-32-91, (7-812) 328-15-51, (7-812) 328-97-38
- fax: (7-812) 325-87-39
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates wishing to study at the University should submit to CIE the following documents:
- a completed International Application for Admittion
- educational record (documented)
- a copy of his/her national passport (personal data pages)